The School maintains close ties with industry, both in Australia and internationally.
Course instruction at UNSW reflects an important mix of theory and practice, with a growing emphasis on computer applications in the computing laboratory. Members of the School conduct research over a wide range of topics.
At UNSW a student may specialise in Finance or combine Finance with other disciplines in the Business School, Mathematics, Law, Arts, Science or Social Science and Engineering.
There’s never been a more exciting time to join the field of finance. New technologies and the rise of the borderless business ensure endless opportunities for graduates.
How is banking & finance used in the real world?
A banking & finance qualification can take you anywhere. Perhaps you’ll enjoy a challenging and vibrant career with the world’s biggest businesses, or achieve stellar academic success.
"I believe you'll see many more of our graduates in top academic positions around the world, presenting keynote addresses and taking the leading journal editor roles."
Professor Jerry Parwada,Head of School
What do banking & finance courses cover?
Our cutting-edge courses cement us as the leading finance school in Australia.
You’ll learn about:
- How organisations make financial policies and decisions. This can involve capital structure, investments, mergers and acquisitions, initial public offerings, security issuance, dividends and ownership structure
- What organisations can do to benefit their shareholders
- How security prices evolve and are determined
- How prices are determined in equilibrium
- The ways rational agents attempting arbitrage can link prices in different markets
- How market makers in exchanges match buyers and sellers (market microstructure)
- How agents use financial information to trade and how this enters the pricing mechanisms
- The ways intermediaries (such as money managers and hedge funds) affect markets and prices
- Whether observed prices and investment decisions can be rationalised by models of optimising agents
Why study banking & finance?
Banking & finance is a unique business niche. It combines rigorous research with a practical mathematical foundation. By studying finance, you become part of an ever-changing, fascinating field that can profoundly impact the way we live.
Banking & finance iLab
Launched in 2019, our world class interactive learning laboratory (iLab) provides a learning environment consisting of both a physical space and data platform that helps students learn how theory should be applied in practice. Serving as a true pedagogical resource, the iLab complements courses by providing for group-based, flipped learning activities. These activities integrate live financial data, allowing students time to explore markets in real time. Activities are designed to provide students with tangible, marketable skills and familiarity with industry standard software packages. This state-of-the-art offering increases our students’ employability by delivering to industry graduates with the skillset needed for tomorrow’s challenges.