The 24th Australasian Finance and Banking Conference was held from 14-16 December, 2011 at the Shangri-La Hotel in Sydney. A PhD forum was held on 13 December 2011 at UNSW.
2011 prize winners
BlackRock Research Award
Tim A. Kroencke, Felix Schindler, and Andreas Schrimpf -"International Diversification Benefits with Foreign Exchange Investment Styles"
Nishant Dass, Vikram Nanda, and Qinghai Wangy
"The Role of Covenants in Mitigating Conflicts of Interest Within Lending Syndicates"
SIRCA Research Prize
Serkan Honeine and Peter L. Swan -
"What are the Determinants of Board Performance: Skin in the Game, Composition, Diversity Size?" and Chris Single and Russell Poskitt - "Why is US dollar bond funding for international banks more expensive?"
Australian Securities Exchange Prize
Shumi Akhtar, Maria Jahromi and Kose John -"Intensity of Volatility Linkages in Islamic and Conventional Markets"
2011 PhD forum prize winners
Prizes were awarded for the top three papers presented at the PhD forum.
Oleg Chuprinin -"Information Management in Financial Markets: Implications for Stock Momentum and Volatility"
Francesco D’Acunto -"Ownership Structure and Firm Value: A Novel Identification"
Matthew Gustafson -"The Effect of Public Debt Market Access on Bank Loan Spreads: Evidence of Competitive Spillover"
- Professor Viral Acharya, New York University
Topic: Guaranteed to Fail: Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac and the Debacle of Mortgage Finance
- Mr. Ric Battellino, Deputy Governor of the Reserve Bank of Australia
Topic: Recent Financial Developments
- Professor Andrew Karolyi, Cornell University
Topic: Are assets still priced locally, not globally?
- Professor Richard Roll, UCLA
Topic: Volatility, Correlation, and Spread ETFs as Factors
- Professor Rene Stulz, Ohio State University
Topic: Understanding bank performance during the crisis
The Chairman of the Selection Committee is Fariborz Moshirian from UNSW.
Members of the Selection Committee included:
- Renee Adams, University of Queensland
- Allen Berger, University of South Carolina
- Michael Brennan, University of California LA
- Stijn Claessens, International Monetary Fund
- J. David Cummins, Temple University
- Asli Demirguc, Kunt World Bank
- Robert Faff, University of Queensland
- Mark Flannery, University of Florida
- Kenneth French, Dartmouth University
- Bruce Grundy, University of Melbourne
- Steven Kaplan, The University of Chicago
- Andrew Karolyi, Cornell University
- Larry H. P. Lang, Chinese University of Hong Kong
- Florencio Lopez De Silanes, EDHEC Business School
- Ike Mathur, Southern Illinois University
- Ronald Masulis, Vanderbilt University
- Maureen O'Hara, Cornell University
- Jay Ritter, University of Florida
- Richard Roll, UCLA
- Anthony Saunders, New York University
- Henri Servaes, London Business School
- Andrei Shleifer, Harvard University
- Tom Smith, Australian National University
- Bruno Solnik, HEC School of Management
- Avanidhar Subrahmanyam, UCLA
- Paul Wachtel, New York University
Journal of Banking & Finance
A special issue of the Journal of Banking and Finance on “Markets, Financial Stability and Governance” will include selected papers presented at the AFBC.