The entry requirements described below should be viewed in the context of the AGSM MBA (Executive), MBAX and GCCM Admissions Policy (pdf).
There are two pathways into the MBAX program:
- A strong undergraduate degree (or equivalent qualification) and a minimum of 2 years professional or managerial work experience
- At least 6 years professional work experience
Please note that 2 years post-graduate experience is an absolute minimum requirement for entry - most of our students have substantially more work experience (average 5-6 years). You would need to demonstrate an outstanding work and study progression to gain a chance of admittance into our MBAX program with less than 3-4 years post graduate work experience.
Completed online application form
Applications must be completed online.
Please refer to the
How to Apply section of this site for more information.
Academic ability & transcript/s
Copies of recognised undergraduate degree, showing all grades and proof of completion/degree awarded. Degree must be equivalent to an Australian Bachelor degree. Transcripts and a conferred degree in a language other than English must be accompanied by a certified English translation. Fails in prior university study are considered carefully by the Selection Committee. Reasons for failure should be attached for the Selection Committee to review. Exceptional career attainments acceptable to the School, may be considered in lieu of a degree.
Please note: Any applicant who holds a degree from Mainland China are required to obtain a China Academic Degrees & Graduate Education Development Center (CDGDC) Transcript Verification Report. Any applicant who holds a degree from India should submit the semester breakdown mark sheets. A comprehensive transcript is not accepted if you wish to transfer to another program within UNSW in the future.
Minimum of 2 years managerial/professional experience post degree.
The Selection Committee assesses the applicant's ability to benefit from and contribute to classroom debate based on his or her previous work experience.
A minimum of two years full-time professional or managerial work experience is required after completion of an undergraduate degree.
A successful work history is an important criterion in the selection process.
A detailed CV is a requirement of the application process and should demonstrate a candidate's diverse and professional experience and leadership qualities.
Personal statement essays
personal statement essays are required as part of your application. The essay questions are designed to help the Admissions Committee learn more about you. Each essay should meet the word length requirement.
What are you made for and how will an AGSM degree help you achieve it? (approx. 250 words)
- What are you most proud of personally and/or professionally and why? (approx. 250 words)
- How will you contribute to your classes and to the AGSM community? (approx. 250 words)
- (Optional Question) Is there anything else we need to know about you? (approx. 250 words)
As part of the application process please submit a current Curriculum Vitae/ Resume which provides us with information on the following:
- Full, legally recognised name
- Educational qualifications (degree, name of institution, city, dates)
- Employment history, for each position include:
- Length of employment - month/year for start and finish, position title and department, location, city, country, organisation details (i.e. products, size, annual turnover, number of staff, a detailed description of your role, responsibilities and achievements) provide any details on professional memberships (e.g. CPA/CAANZ)
- Personal details, including awards, prizes, personal achievements, club memberships, interests, languages, citizenship and residency.
It is important to note that when preparing your CV/Resume, that the information you provide will be assessed based on the following competencies:
- Written communication - clearly and logically expressing ideas in writing using appropriate terminology and good grammatical form.
- Business management - establishing a course of action to perform complicated tasks successfully.
- Leadership - demonstrating individual leadership by taking a principal role in identifying goals, determining strategies and initiating actions and/or demonstrating team leadership by guiding groups of people to work effectively together.
- Adaptability to change - maintaining effectiveness in changing organisational situations and in different cultures.
- Influence and decision making - using appropriate interpersonal styles and methods to persuade others internal or external to the organisation of an idea, product or service and exercising appropriate judgement in reaching conclusions based on factual information and logic.
- Leadership potential - assessment is based on leadership history at school, university, in the workplace, the personal statement essays and referees' reports. The criteria include: Strong interpersonal and communication skills; a willingness to show leadership in a team environment; a high degree of self-confidence and independence of mind; a strong sense of commitment and drive to succeed, combined with a preparedness to be flexible when required; a willingness, based on natural curiosity, to learn continually, interview.
You need to arrange two referees to complete the AGSM referee report forms to support your application. Both referees should be people who know you well, and be able to comment on your skills and abilities in a professional setting. However, relatives or personal friends are not permitted to act as referees. AGSM reserves the right to contact referees.
All applicants should forward the
referee report form to the two referees and upload the signed reports to their application.
For your information, referees need to provide commentary on your intellectual capacity, ability to relate to others, written expression, oral expression, leadership in a team environment, self confidence, motivation to succeed, adaptability to change, commitment to learning, natural curiosity, maturity and overall management potential. Moreover, referees need to answer the following questions:
- How long, how well and in what connection have you known the applicant?
- What do you consider to be her/his outstanding management talents or strengths?
- What do you consider to be her/his weaknesses or areas of development?
- How would you describe the applicant’s creativity and problem solving ability?
- Please indicate to what level was English used in the applicant’s position of employment (covering spoken, written, reading and listening skills)
- Please make any other comments you feel would be useful to AGSM MBA Programs in considering this application
- Referee details: Name, Title, Organisation, Work phone, Work fax, Email, Address
Proof of identity
All applicants must provide proof of identity with their applications. Proof of identity is defined as photo identification showing your legally recognised full name, date of birth and photo. Appropriate documentation is one of the following:
- Australian/New Zealand Citizens must provide the photo page of passport;
- Australian Permanent Residents and other Visa holders must provide the photo page of passport and copy of Visa.
English language requirement
Please refer to the UNSW English requirements policy for further information regarding minimum English test requirements.
Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL)
Previous study can lead to Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL). When a student demonstrates their knowledge in a specific course, AGSM Programs may award transfer credit for that subject.
Please refer to the
AGSM Recognised Prior Learning (RPL) Protocol and Procedure for further details. Students wishing to apply for RPL must submit a
Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) Application and provide all required documentation as listed on the application form.
Please visit the
How to apply page for further information regarding the AGSM MBA application process. If you have any further questions please contact the AGSM MBA Admissions Office.