In order to pass this course, you must pass all assessment tasks (see below). A pass in each task is deemed to be 65%. The final grade for this course will be Satisfactory / Unsatisfactory.
**Students may be requested to sign a confidentiality statement regarding their project at the host company. Students will be bound by this confidentiality however are able to use this knowledge and work from the host organisation in their assessments for this course.
Team Presentation and Client Report 30%
Each student will work in a team on a real issue provided by the host company. The formation of teams and the assignment to the companies will take place during the pre-departure training workshops. Students will utilise information provided by the host business and (likely) from external sources. Each team will be required to develop and deliver a 30 minute presentation structured to communicate key findings on this project to company representatives (exact length will be determined by the company). All team members are expected to actively participate in the presentation. A two page (approx.) executive summary of outcomes (i.e. the client report) should be submitted to the company on the day of the presentation.
These group presentations will take place in country just prior to the return to Australia. The academic supervisor will assess and provide feedback on the presentation. The following formats for the academic supervisor to watch their presentation include: academic supervisor attends in person, arrange for live streaming (e.g. via Skype), upload a video recording of the company presentation, including questions and discussion, to Moodle, or repeat the presentation in the debrief session.
Criteria for this assessment will include:
• clarity of presentation,
• professional delivery and audience engagement,
• coherent and logical structure,
• effective use of tools and technology
• relevance of content,
• depth and quality of analysis
• ability to answer questions from company representatives and others.
Peer Review 10%
Each student will complete a peer evaluation of their team members, taking into account their contribution to the project and the working of the group. This will consider the Team Project Charter, and each student’s agreed responsibility.
Criteria for this review will include:
• Participation in team process (e.g. contribution to team planning, task co-ordination; ability to support and motivate team members; ability to handle conflict);
• Contribution to achieve outcomes (e.g. shares ideas, meets deadlines, demonstrates necessary knowledge and skills).
Reflection Essay 20%
The aim of reflective thinking is to foster deeper learning, critical review, and self-development from your practicum experience.
The first reflection deliverable is a detailed list of personal goals and objectives before departure. Students are encouraged to keep a reflective video diary; recommended is 1-2 short (2-3 minutes) videos per week to record your experiences and throughts..
Each student will write a short essay, detailing their individual reflections on this learning experience. It is to be submitted after returning from overseas. This short essay will detail and discuss your learnings from your experience, for example: what you have come to know and understand across a range of areas and how this goes beyond your prior experiences - about working in business, working in another country, cultural understanding, and yourself.
The reflection essay should be 500-1000 words.
• Analysis of your own participation in your team and the team processes;
• Depth of insight and reflection on experiences in country.
• Ability to draw broader learnings about business, people and themselves from this experience.
• Self-evaluation of goal achievement
Practicum Report 40%
Each team will submit a report based upon the project undertaken at the host organisation. The report is to be submitted as specified above after returning from the in-company placement.
Marking Criteria for this report:
• Depth, breadth, relevance, use and application of relevant theories / knowledge
• Level of research, critical thinking and analysis
• Synthesis of information
• Creativity, innovativeness of solutions/conclusions - ability for these to be realistically implemented
• Quality of written communication – structure, flow and presentation of report
The specific form of this report will be discussed at the Pre-departure training program.