The assessment tasks of the course will consist of three parts:
1. Tutorial work (40%)
1a. Case discussion (15%)
You need to read the case Chateau Margaux: Launching the Third Wine in conjunction with a set of discussion questions that you will be given. You case grade will be based on your contribution to the class discussion. You should aim to make only one or two points in advancing our discussion. If, you feel that you were unable to make your point, or if you cannot attend the tutorial you should submit one paragraph detailing your perspective on one of the case discussion questions.
The case discussion will take place during Week 7 of class (October 26) and those wishing to submit a paragraph should do so by the week of Week 7.
The rationale for the case discussion is:
• To allow you to see how the course principles can be applied in the real world;
• To examine the role of environmental factors such as channels and competition in determining brand strategy
• To demonstrate how organizations need to balance potentially conflicting objectives in choosing a course of action
1b. Short answer quiz (25%)
This is a short answer quiz. You will be fully briefed in class about the content and format of this assignment in Week 1.
This quiz will be held in class during the tutorial of Week 8 (November 2). It will test your understanding of the concepts developed in the course. It will consist of five randomized questions to each of which you will be asked to provide a short answer, probing your understanding of the elements of branding and how these are used in practice, as well as your communication skills.
The rationale for the short answer quiz is:
• To assess your comprehension and understanding of the course material;
• For you to demonstrate an ability to synthesize, integrate and apply course material;
• To provide an opportunity for you to make links between ideas, theories, frameworks, and practical problems in the field of brand management, drawing on material from within and beyond the course;
• To show you can work independently.
2. Individual work (30%)
2a. Multiple choice quiz (10%)
This is an on line multiple choice quiz. You will be fully briefed in class about the content and format of this assignment in Week 1. You will be able to attempt this quiz as often as you choose (on each attempt questions will be sampled from a bank in a randomized order). You best mark will be the one which I will use to calculate your final grade.
The rationale for Quiz 1 is:
• For me to assess your comprehension and understanding of the course material;
• For you to demonstrate an ability to synthesize and integrate course material;
• To provide an opportunity for you to make links between different elements of the course;
• To show you can work independently.
2b. Personal Reflections on Group Project (20%)
You will reflect on the group project that you have undertaken. While the two group reports will address the branding decisions that you are advocating for your selected brand (and a description of the information base on which those decisions are based), that is the substantive content of the project, this individual aspect of the project is more focused on the process. Topics covered will include some of the benefits and difficulties of applying course material to your chosen example, what you learned from undertaking the branding project, and what you might do differently were you to undertake such an exercise again.
The personal reflections report is limited to six pages (excluding references and appendices) and will be due at the end of Week 11.
The rationale for your personal reflections is:
• To get you to think critically about the process of brand strategy development in practice;
• To allow you to move beyond the material covered directly in the course
• To give you the opportunity to evaluate both positive and negative issues involved in brand formulation
3. Group work (30%)
3a. Branding project – Part A (Audit and options) (10%)
You will be fully briefed in class about the content and format of this assignment in Week 1. As a group, you will have to prepare a development plan for a brand in a market of your choosing. In stage 1 you will undertake an environmental analysis for the brand you wish to analyse and generate strategic options for where that brand may be taken in practice.
Your initial audit and option report will be due at the end of week 4.
3b. Branding project – Part B (Positioning and support) (20%)
Building on Assessment 3a (and feedback that you have received about it), you will proceed to establish a value proposition for your selected brand, as well as the skeleton of a marketing plan that will be used to support it. The deliverable from this stage of the project will be a presentation in tutorials and a final written report.
Group presentations will take place in the Week 9 tutorial. The final report is due at the end of week 10.
The rationale for the project is:
• To get you to collect an information base that provides the foundation for a brand strategy
• To allow you to generate options for branding rather than seizing on the first good idea that comes to mind.
• To encourage you to encapsulate the brand essence in your product-market by building on a selected positioning that meets customer needs and allows for the market environment
• To elicit your ideas as to how the brand could be credibly supported so that it resonates with its target market