All assessment components are designed to guide students with independent learning.
IT2 Pre-Placement Sponsor Organisation Analysis (10%)
By the end of the 2nd week of IT2, scholars must submit the contact information and Professional Development Agreement (PDA). This is done online via the UNSW Co-op Program Career Manager.
Scholars must submit the IT2 Pre-Placement Sponsor Organisation Analysis by the end of the 2nd week of IT2 to the LIC. This sponsor organisation analysis should address the following issues:
• The nature of the sponsor’s industry and its economic significance
• Main participants in the industry, market concentration, products
• Finance issues relevant to the industry
• Key challenges, issues and developments facing the industry and the finance profession.
The report should be written to an academic. Use the appropriate type of vocabulary, structure and level of technicality for this audience. The report should be word-processed and up to 2 pages in length (no more than 1000 words). Reports will be assessed based on the quality and depth of the scholar’s research as well as the quality of their written communication skills.
IT2 Personal Reflection Journal (‘ePortfolio’) (25%)
Scholars are required to maintain a personal reflection journal throughout their IT2 placement. The personal reflection journal is to be used as a tool to assist scholars’ development of their professional skills. This journal will be electronic and is referred to as an ePortfolio.
Scholar’s should perform a self-assessment of at the beginning of IT2, they should reflect on their professional competencies, assess the sponsor’s expectations of a new graduate’s competencies, and establish benchmarks to self-evaluate their competencies throughout their IT2 placement.
Progressively throughout the IT2 placement, you should self-assess to determine the extent to which you are achieving your goals and outline what you can do in the following weeks to improve your professional development. You will then draw on this Personal Reflection Journal to prepare your IT2 research report. This journal should be submitted together with the IT2 Research Project Report at the end of IT2.
• This is a reflective journal not just a diary of your daily activities. You may include details of what your IT2 entails including daily, weekly and monthly duties but this information should be used as a reflection of your own skill development.
• Describe the knowledge you gained while on the job and include, where possible, how knowledge gained from your courses at university was beneficial. This may include technical knowledge as well as knowledge about managing interpersonal relationships in the work place, managing your time, working independently etc...
• Try to identify competencies that would be especially valuable for new graduates in the sponsor’s organisation. List these Items and consider how you may be able to make recommendations to your sponsor on how to improve their graduates’ competencies.
IT2 End of Industry Training Experience Presentation & Research report (45%)
Within their last two weeks, Scholars are required to make a 30 minute oral presentation. Please refer to the IT Guidelines End of Industry Training Experience Presentation for the topics to be addressed in the presentation.
Scholars will be assessed on the presentation’s content (topic, structure, clarity, level of understanding) as well as on scholars presentation and communication skills (confidence, clarity, use of technology, appropriate pitch).
Your oral presentation and research report should include the following:
• Drawing on your personal reflections diary, discuss the growth of your professional competencies during IT1 and insights you gained on the importance of professional competences in your sponsor’s workplace.
• Where possible, apply knowledge gained through your tertiary studies at UNSW.
• Where possible, provide recommendations where the sponsor may be able to improve its performance evaluation criteria and/or processes used for new graduates’ performance evaluations.
The report is limited to 4 pages in total excluding references and appendices.
IT2 Sponsor Evaluation (20%)
Within two weeks of completion of the IT2 placement, sponsors will complete a Sponsor Evaluation for a UNSW Co-op Program Scholar using the template provided by the UNSW Co-op Office. Scholars must submit this performance evaluation and their completed Scholar Evaluation of Industry Training Experience online (Co-op Program Career Manager) within two weeks of completing their IT2 placement.