Prior to taking up his appointment at UNSW, Gary worked at the Australian National University, Edith Cowan University, University of Western Australia, University of Hawaii, Duke University and the University of Massachusetts. He has taught financial and management accounting, auditing, accounting information systems, behavioural research in accounting and research methods at both the undergraduate and graduate levels.
Professor Monroe is an internationally renowned researcher in auditing with an emphasis on audit judgment and the economics of auditing, and financial reporting. He has published articles in journals such as:
- Auditing: A Journal of Practice and Theory
- Journal of Banking and Finance
- Behavioral Research in Accounting
- Accounting and Finance
- Journal of Business Ethics
- Accounting, Auditing and Accountability Journal
- Journal of Accounting and Public Policy
- The British Accounting Review
- Pacific Basin Finance Journal
- Financial Accountability and Management
- The Australian Accounting Review
- Accounting Education
He currently serves as Editor for Accounting and Finance, and Editor for Auditing: A Journal of Practice and Theory. He also serves on the Editorial Boards of a number of international journals.
He has received awards for his research and teaching awards for his undergraduate teaching and PhD supervision.
In recognition of his outstanding contribution to the accounting academic profession in Australia, he was made a Life Member of the Accounting and Finance Association of Australia and New Zealand in 2013.