Mirjam Goudsmit is undertaking a PhD in Strategic Management, studying performance differences between firms in different environments. Her research looks at organisational strategic responses to turbulence, arising from change and uncertainty.
Before starting at UNSW, Mirjam studied at Leeuwarden and Erasmus University Rotterdam in The Netherlands, Karlstad University in Sweden, and the University of Melbourne in Australia.
"UNSW Business School has a great faculty, excellent research with publications in top journals, an outstanding reputation, and many learning opportunities. There are also close connections with the Australian business community," says Mirjam.
"There is a close-knit community of PhD students and faculty at UNSW Business School who support and encourage each other. I regularly team up with a friend from the School of Marketing to discuss our dissertations."
Mirjam values the frequent visiting scholars who are open to talking about research and sharing their insights, and seminars where the latest research is presented and discussed.
She is supported by an Australian Postgraduate Award and a scholarship from the prestigious Ryoichi Sasakawa Young Leaders Fellowship Fund (SYLFF). Mirjam also received a SYLFF Research Abroad Award from The Tokyo Foundation to travel to The Hebrew University of Jerusalem in Israel so she could undertake fieldwork and connect with scholars there.
- Performance heterogeneity across environments: Investigating strategic responses, environmental turbulence, and performance relationships
- George A. Shinkle
- Steven Lui (co-supervisor)
- 2015. Organizational Attention, Environmental Shifts, and Strategic Action Choices.
Strategic Management Society (SMS) Conference, Denver, USA. With Shinkle.
- 2015. Environmental Turbulence and the Efficacy of Knowledge Sources: Investigating Transition Economies.
Academy of Management (AOM) Conference, Vancouver, Canada. With Shinkle, Kriauciunas, and Hundley.
- 2015. Operational Governance: What Happens When Formalization and Flexibility Collide?
AOM, Vancouver, Canada. With Yang and Shinkle.
- 2014. Reassessing Dynamism: Toward Integrated Understanding.
SMS, Sydney, Australia.
- 2014 Strategy in turbulent environments: Investigating transition economy contexts.
AOM, Philadelphia, USA. With Shinkle, Kriauciunas, and Hundley.
- 2013. Strategy in turbulent environments: Learning from firms in transition economies.
Australia and New Zealand Academy of Management (ANZAM) Conference, Hobart, Australia. With Shinkle, Kriauciunas, and Hundley.
- 2012. A corporate venturing unit as separation and collaboration mechanism to promote innovation in a service industry context.
ANZAM, Perth, Australia.
- MGMT3001 Business and Corporate Strategy
- MGMT2010 Innovation and Entrepreneurship: Principles and Practice
Awards & grants
- 2015 Dean’s Award for Service, UNSW Business School
- 2014 Sylff Research Abroad Award, visiting institution: The Hebrew University of Jerusalem, Israel
- 2013-2016 The Ryoichi Sasakawa Young Leaders Fellowship by the Nippon Foundation and Tokyo Foundation
- 2012-2016 Australian Postgraduate Award at UNSW and Australian School of Business APA/UPA Supplementary Scholarship
- Business strategy and strategic response behavior
- Environmental turbulence and dynamism
- Performance and strategic performance intentions
- Innovation, corporate entrepreneurship and entrepreneurship
- International, digital/e-commerce/new media, and service contexts