Varina’s research interest is in how individual’s identities influence them at work, particularly during times of transition. Broadly, this covers topics such as leadership, entrepreneurship, international business and human resource management and covers sub-topics such as intersectionality, expatriate management, diversity, cross-cultural management, and strands of identity such as sexuality, gender, social class and work role.
- Who am I now? The influence of multiple identities on expatriate success and the concept of intersectionality
- Dr. Sunghoon Kim
- Professor David C. Thomas
- Paisley, V. & Tayar, M. (2016). Lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) expatriates – an intersectionality perspective. International Journal of Human Resource Management, 27(6), 1-15.
- Paisley, V. P., Lazarova, M. B. & Thomas, D. C. (2015) Teaching Manual for Essentials of International Human Resource Management: Managing People Globally. Sage, Vancouver Canada.
- Tayar, M. & Paisley, V. (2015) Reflexivity, critical reflection and mindfulness in experiential learning: Developing successful international business graduates in Taras, V. & Gonzalez-Perez, M. A., Handbook of Experiential Learning in International Business. Palgrave Macmilan. London.
- Taras, V., Berg, D. M., Buie, C., Hagen, J. M., Johns, A., Meszoely, Paisley, V. & Panina, D. (2015) More food for thought: Other experiential learning projects in Taras, V. & Gonzalez-Perez, M. A., Handbook of Experiential Learning in International Business. Palgrave Macmilan. London.
- Michaels, V. (2019) Global LGBT Families in McNulty, Y., Research Handbook of Global Families. Edward Elgar, Cheltenham.
- Newman, A., Yu, J., Schwarz, G., & Paisley, V. The Influence of Psychological Entitlement on Employee Work Outcomes: The Moderating Effects of Employee Involvement Climate. Under review at the Human Resource Management.
- Michaels, V. Measuring multiple identities: Development of an intersectionality scale. Data analysis stage. Target journal: Gender and Society.
- Michaels, V. Reflective video blogs: Moving methodologies forward in international business. Data collection stage. Target journal: Journal of International Business Studies.
- Michaels, V., Lee, I., & Kim, S. Entrepreneurial exit. Data analysis stage. Target journal: Entrepreneurship: Theory and Leadership.
- Taylor, G, & Michaels, V. Entrepreneurial identity and its influence on decision making. Literature review stage. Target journal: Academy of Management Journal.
- Michaels, V. HR perspectives on identity work of expatriates. Data collection stage. Target journal: Journal of World Business or Journal of Global Mobility.
Selected Conference Papers
- Tayar, M & Paisley, V (2016). LGBT diversity program localization: An institutional paradox perspective. Presented at the Academy of International Business (AIB). 27-30 June 2016, New Orleans, USA.
- Tayar, M & Paisley, V (2016). Working to have a voice: Institutional work by marginalized actors in foreign subsidiaries. Presented at the Academy of International Business (AIB). 27-30 June 2016, New Orleans, USA.
- Paisley, V. (2016). Responsive video blog research in international business. Presented at the Australian and New Zealand International Business Academy (ANZIBA Conference), 17-19 February 2016, Sydney University, Australia.
- Beaver, G., Trau, R., King, E., Paisley, V., Tayar, M., Berkley, R., Beard, R., Daus, C., Mohr, J., Peddie, D., Jones, K., Ozturk, M., Tatli, A., Weaver, K., Martinez, L., Boyd, D. & Caleron, C. (2015). Sexual minority distinctiveness: Unique contributions of L, G, B & T employees symposium. Presented at the Academy of Management (AOM). 7-11 August 2015, Vancouver, British Colombia, Canada.
- Paisley, V & Tayar, M (2015). Lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) expatriates – An intersectionality perspective. Presented at the Academy of International Business (AIB). 27-30 June 2015, Indian Institute of Management Bangalore, Bengaluru, India.
- Paisley, V. (2014). Gamification of International Business education: Experiential learning and a global perspective. Presented at the Academy of International Business (AIB) Conference, 23-26 June 2014, Simon Fraser University, Vancouver, Canada.
- 2017- Present- Board Member for UNSW Global Entrepreneurship and Innovation Research Group
- 2016 - Present Co-Leader of the ANZIBA PhD Network which includes organizing Webinars and panels for PhD students at International Business conferences (previous Social Media Coordinator)
- 2017- Mentor for a junior PhD student through the UNSW School of Management Mentoring program
- 2016 Emerging Leaders: Future of Work Grant from Melbourne University $6,000
- 2016 Media appearances on Radio National and 2SER Radio regarding politics and LGBT rights and laws
- 2015 Volunteer Committee Member for the Academy of Management UNSW Social Event
- 2015 Women in Academy of International Business Helping Hands Award
- 2015 Volunteer at the Academy of International Business, Bangalore India
- 2015 Australia Postgraduate Award
- 2015 UNSW Australia Business School Supplement Scholarship
- 2013 CAPA International Education Research Grant $500.
- Journal of World Business
- International Journal of Human Resource Management
- Journal of Global Management
- Academy of Management (AOM) Conference
- Academy of International Business (AIB) Conference and the local chapter (AIB-ANZ)
- Australia and New Zealand International Business Academy (ANZIBA) Conference.
- Academy of International Business (AIB)
- Academy of Management (AOM)
- Australia and New Zealand International Business Academy (ANZIBA)
- Cultural Diversity Research Network
- Australian Human Resource Institute.