- Please contact your School's Honours Coordinator for your School's application deadline
- Honours students selected to present at the Student Research Fair will be notified by
5pm on Friday 19 August 2016
- Selected Honours students must submit a draft copy of the paper they intend to present at the Student Research Fair by
noon on Monday 12 September 2016
- Selected Honours students must submit a copy of the PowerPoint or pdf slides for their presentation by
noon on Friday 23 September 2016
- All presenters must be available to attend the Fair on
Monday 26 September 2016
The ability to effectively present research to an audience, such as at a conference, is an important skill for all researchers. The Student Research Fair is an opportunity for UNSW Business School Honours students to gain experience in presenting their research and receive constructive feedback on their work from discipline experts and other research students. You may also win a prize and/or meet a future employer!
We encourage Honours students who are unable to present a talk to attend the Fair and support their friends. It is a great opportunity to find out what research is occurring in other Schools and network with academic staff, industry representatives, and alumni. You can also ask UNSW Business School staff any questions you have about our postgraduate research programs.
The following prizes will be awarded at the Student Research Fair:
- Best (Stream A) Honours Research-in-progress Presentation: $500 + recognition on
- Best (Stream B) Honours Research-in-progress Presentation: $500 + recognition on
- Best (Stream C) Honours Research-in-progress Presentation: $500 + recognition on
- People's Choice (Stream A) Honours Research-in-progress Presentation: $50 Westfield gift voucher
- People's Choice (Stream B) Honours Research-in-progress Presentation: $50 Westfield gift voucher
- People's Choice (Stream C) Honours Research-in-progress Presentation: $50 Westfield gift voucher
Please join us at 3:15pm on Monday 26 September in the UNSW Business School to find out if you've won and/or congratulate the winners.
How to apply
Each School will be holding its own process for selecting its Honours student representatives for the Student Research Fair. The number of potential Honours student representatives per School is dependent on Honours cohort size. If you would like to participate, please contact your Honours Coordinator as soon as possible to register your interest and find out application deadlines and processes:
Guidelines for selected research-in-progress presenters
Honours students selected by their School to present their research-in-progress at the Fair will be required to
submit a draft copy of the paper they intend to present
by noon on Monday 12 September 2016.
When preparing your presentation, you may like to base your draft paper around the following ideas:
- Your research so far – background to the issue, aims, any relevant limitations in the existing literature, what your research has indicated so far, anomalies in the data.
- Expectations in the last stages of your research – what you hope to find and why.
Your presentation is to be approximately 20 minutes long, so anticipate the length of your paper to be approximately 10 pages, single-spaced. This page length is by no means prescriptive, so don't worry if the printed version is less than 10 pages. All papers should have a title page with a brief abstract.
Your draft paper will be forwarded to the specific discussant identified for your talk prior to the Fair, so they have time to prepare some detailed feedback for you. Your title and abstract will be printed in the Student Research Fair program. There will be approximately 10 minutes available after your presentation for your discussant and other members of the audience to provide feedback on your research-in-progress and ask questions about your project.
Honours research-in-progress talks will be presented in three streams in adjoining rooms in the UNSW Business School. Each room will be equipped with a whiteboard, computer, and projector.
PowerPoint or pdf presentation slides must be submitted to the Business School Research Office by
noon on Friday 23 September 2016. Your presentation will be pre-loaded on the computer in the room in which you are presenting.
Photography and filming
This event may be photographed and filmed for the promotional purposes of the UNSW Business School. The images may be posted on the School website and may be used in publications that are accessible by the general public. If you have any questions, please contact the
Business School Research Office.