UNSW courses should be utilised to complete the requirements of a student’s program wherever possible. Courses completed on exchange are not considered in this protocol. The Faculty recognises, however, that circumstances may arise whereby this may not be feasible. In these circumstances cross-institutional study in another institution may be approved according to the following criteria:
A cross-institutional application may be considered if the following conditions apply:
- Completion of the course does not lead to the student exceeding the business degree limit on cross-institutional study of 12 Units of Credit (UoC).
- The student submits the cross-institutional application form at the Business School Student Centre before commencing the course.
- The student’s Academic Standing level is ‘Good’ in the previous Semester.
- The undergraduate student has 48 UoC or less remaining in their current program, or the postgraduate student has 36 UoC or less remaining in their current program – or, irrespective of the remaining UoC, the course being completed on cross-institutional studies is for international experience.
- The course is not offered in the semester at UNSW, or the student has extenuating circumstances beyond his/her control which prevents the student from attending the course(s) at UNSW.
- Student still meets the requirements of completing at least 50% of studies in the enrolled UNSW business program, in either single or dual mode.
- The cross-institutional course has been assessed and approved as equivalent to an UNSW course that can contribute to their current program.
- The cross-institutional course does not clash with the student’s UNSW course commitments.
- The host institution is of recognised quality.
- The requirements of UNSW courses take precedence (e.g., with regards to timetable, assignments, exams, etc.). A clash in timetable is not grounds for special consideration or alternative assessment requests. Students must ensure to make appropriate arrangements if there is a clashing time between UNSW and host university.
Apply for Cross Institutional Study form on Business School website here to request permission to undertake study at another institution and for this study to be counted towards their current degree program at UNSW.
- Please allow 2 - 3 weeks for processing and any incomplete applications, or applications not accompanied by the necessary documentation will not be processed.
- An application for cross-institutional study should be accompanied by a detailed course outline that includes the course aims and objectives, course description, contact hours, weekly topic schedules, assessment details and weightings, text and references, etc.
- A student undertaking cross-institutional enrolment is required to undertake the administrative requirements of the other institution themselves.
- The student is responsible for the payment of their own tuition fees to the other institution.
- A student undertaking cross-institutional enrolment may not vary their enrolment (other than by withdrawing from the approved course) at the other institution without prior written approval from the Business School Student Centre. The Student Centre may then consult with the relevant Program Coordinator, if so required.
- If the student is undertaking cross-institutional studies and is not enrolled in any course at UNSW, he/she must take program leave for that particular Semester (applicable to Semester 1 and 2 only).
- Results from courses undertaken at another institution are not part of the calculation for the student’s Weighted Average Mark (WAM); only the credit weighting for the completed cross-institutional course will appear on the UNSW Academic Transcript.
Complete the Apply for Cross Institutional Study form
Submit the completed application form and attach the course outline via Business School online form website. If you have applied at the other institution and they require your home institution to complete the approval section, please include the form for endorsement.
By submitting the application form you agree to the above criteria
If the cross-institutional application is approved, the Business School Student Centre send an email for approval to you. Please read the email carefully.
Contact the institution with which you want to do the course and follow its application procedure / deadline / form and submit the necessary documentation directly to that institution.
Upon successful completion of the approved cross-institutional course(s), submit the result to the Business School Student Centre so credits can be transferred onto your UNSW academic transcript. Only the official academic transcript or official results notification will be accepted and the course name / title must match the course on the approval letter. Please note that the course results achieved at the other institution will not appear on your UNSW academic transcript.
Send results to:
UNSW Business School Student Centre
Room 1028, Level 1 Quadrangle Building (E15), UNSW
Sydney NSW 2052
You may also submit a copy of your official transcript via online form here
Students who are completing cross-institutional studies overseas (including for a short course) should visit the International SOS site to register their travel and ensure they are covered by the UNSW Travel Insurance.